- Common Law
- Corporations law
- Disciplinary Proceedings
- Employment and industrial law
- Equity and trusts
- Inquests and inquiries
- Product and professional liability
- Sports Law
- Work health and safety
Callan is an experienced junior counsel and principally practises in the areas of insurance and reinsurance law, common law and commercial law. He appears in disciplinary proceedings, employment and industrial proceedings, product and professional liability disputes and work health & safety prosecutions.
Callan has appeared in a number of leading cases (including in appellate courts and in the High Court) and regularly appears in the Federal Court, Supreme and District Courts of NSW and in interstate Courts.
Callan also appears in coronial inquests, public commissions of inquiry and tribunals across Australia. He holds a Master’s degree in law with a major in Alternative Dispute Resolution which is a particular focus of his practice.
Callan was elected to serve as a Councillor of the NSW Bar Association (2019 to date) and the Judiciary Panel for NSW Rugby Union (2018 to date). He has also chaired and appeared at various sporting integrity tribunals including in cricket, tennis, rugby league and hockey.
Callan is a Committee Member for the Council of Law Reporting NSW (2014 to date) and a member of the Australia and New Zealand Sports Lawyers Association.
Prior to joining the Bar, Callan practised as a solicitor at Clayton Utz and Wotton & Kearney. Callan was called to the Bar in 2012.
- BA Communications (Social Inquiry), University of Technology Sydney
- LLB (Hons), University of Technology Sydney
- LLM (Dispute Resolution), University of New South Wales
Tribunal Member of the NSW Rugby Union Judiciary
- Brothels, Bikies and Disclosure: What is required of an insured (2017) 35 LSJ 82
- A Pot of Gold? The Unfinished Story of Utmost Good Faith and the Insurance Contracts Act (2008) 19 ILJ 245
To enquire about briefing a member of 12 Wentworth Selborne, or for all other enquiries, please contact the Clerk