Barrister:2007 (New South Wales and England)
Solicitor Advocate (Civil):1995 (England)
Solicitor:1990 (England & Wales)
- Banking and Finance
- Competition and Consumer Law
- Corporations law
- Equity and trusts
- Intellectual Property
- International law
- Maritime and Shipping
- Product and professional liability
After qualification in New South Wales and three years with Blake Dawson, Terry practised in London for 17 years (mainly as a partner with Herbert Smith between 1994 and 2006) as a commercial litigator and Solicitor Advocate.
In 2007 Terry returned to Australia and joined the New South Wales Bar. He won the inaugural Christopher Gee QC Prize for evidence and advocacy in the May 2007 Bar Practice Course.
Since returning to Australia, Terry’s practice has principally focused on the areas of commercial litigation, arbitration, banking law, insurance and reinsurance, and shipping and maritime law.
Terry was listed as a leading arbitration barrister in Doyle’s Guide, Australian Litigation and Insolvency Rankings (2017, 2018, 2019).
Terry regularly appears in the Federal Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of New South Wales, and their respective courts of appeal. He also accepts briefs to appear and advise in arbitrations in Australia and other international seats. For information about selected cases in which Terry has acted please see his CV.
- BA, University of Sydney (1982)
- LLB, University of Sydney (1984)
- LLM, University of Sydney (1990)
- Fellow, Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA)
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Member, Australian Maritime and Transport Arbitration Commission (AMTAC) Panel of Arbitrators
- Pool Member, NBNCo’s (Australia’s National Broadband Provider) Pool of Arbitrators for Access Agreement Disputes
- Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Accredited Mediator of Centre for Dispute Resolution (CEDR) (UK)
- Trainer on Gray’s Inn Continuing Education Programme for New Practitioners (Advocacy and Ethics) (2000 to 2006)
To enquire about briefing a member of 12 Wentworth Selborne, or for all other enquiries, please contact the Clerk